Friday, September 9, 2011

Ephesians 4:36

Be angry and do not sin, do not let the sun go down on your wrath Ephesians 4:36

Although this verse seems to have two parts, the Lord is so gracious to have them intertwine with each other. When we are angry, we sin. Its a natural response- something builds up inside of us and then our bodies respond. This past week the Lord has been graciously teaching us how to put on the new man. We  are new creatures in Christ and through sanctification, by the Holy Spirit, our minds, hearts and souls are transformed.

As years pass- we have all been hurt by people, friends, family. In response, we tend to get angry and sin. When they do or tell us something that does not resonate within us- when our fleshly pride is hurt, we get angry. But it is our response to that anger is whats important. How we respond is so imperative. Paul is not saying don't get angry, he gets it- we all do, but what he does say is in that anger, do not sin. We do not desire to do anything to interrupt or grieve the Spirit. How can we serve the Lord fully and enjoy all that He longs to bless us with, if we continue to walk in sin? Paul's warning is so gentle, yet so profound.

Application- application verse is Isaiah 30:15 in returning and rest you shall be saved. In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.

 When I was a little girl, I used to throw huge temper tantrums. Not only were they an interruption to those around - I said so many hurtful things to my family that I regret. When things don't go my way or when i don't get what i think i need, i still find myself getting upset and frustrated and tempted to snap back or become defensive. As a Christian woman whose desire is to follow my Abba Father, I need to discipline my self and take every thought captive and continue to think on things that are of the Lord. When someone hurts my feelings, I stop, pray and ask the Lord to give me the gentle words to say or to just give strength to continue to love them. Thank you Jesus! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment